In this how to, we will run through how to fully template your IPAM profile so it can be made completely dynamic. This document does this in the most simplistic way which is to show you how your IPAM Profile can be templated.
Please do note that making all fields into template engine language can leave you open to mistakes on selection. If you have licensed the Property Toolkit I would recommend making the selections more robust and less prone to input errors by utilising logic to select the appropriate sections automatically.
- Have licensed your IPAM / DNS modules
- Have an understanding of the template engine
- You have already configured an IPAM Endpoint
- This ONLY applies from SovLabs version 2019.10.0 and onwards
Setting up Property Definitions
- Click on Administration (1) → Property Dictionary (2) → Property Definitions (3) → and click on New (4)
- Provide a Name (1) for your Property Definition and a label (2) that you will see on your blueprint
- Enter a description (optional)
- Set the data type (1) to String and the Required (2) to YES
- Set the Display As (1) to Dropdown and the values (2) as Static list
- In the static list, click on New (1), Enter the name of your subnet and the value which is the subnet (2). In my example, I have set matching subnets. Then click OK (3)
Repeat for all other networks you want to be able to select.
NOTE: You can provide different names to the value ie; Production, Development, Test, DMZ etc (See second screen shot for example)
- My Example
- Example of multiple zones by name and value
- My Example
- Click on OK
- Repeat the above steps to create a property definition for Gateway ,Network name and DNS Suffix
Setting up your IPAM Profile
- From your Catalog (1) search for IPAM Profile (2) and click on Request (3) in the Add IPAM Profile – SovLabs Module
- Provide a meaningful Configuration label (1) and Description (2)
- From the Type, select your IPAM endpoint type you will be using
- Select your IPAM providers endpoint that you have already configured
- Select the NIC number this will apply to (NOTE: The first network card on a VM is 0)
- In the Subnets, Gateways, Network name and network mask. This is where you will utilise the template engine. Enter the values (1) you have setup in the previous steps to reflect the Dynamic nature of the network and press the green cross (2)
- Excluded IPs, if you have any enter them here, else leave this blank
- IN DNS Configuration, enter the Primary and secondary DNS IP Addresses you will use (1), and you can Template the DNS Suffix and DNS Search Suffix (2) as these will match the domain you will choose.
- You can configure WINS if you require, else this can be left blank
- Click on Submit
Updating you Blueprint
- Go to your blueprint and click Properties (1) → Property Groups (2) → and click Add (3)
- Locate your IPAM profile you created before, it will start with SovLabs-IPAMProfile-<Tenant>_ , place a check next to that one (1) and then click OK (2)
- Now click on Properties (1) → Custom properties (2) → and click New (3)
- Locate the Subnet property definition you created earlier and select this.
- In the show in Request field, place a check box
- Click on OK
- Repeat the above steps for Gateway, Network Name and Domain Suffix, you should end up with 4 additional Items in your Custom Properties
- Click on Finish
- When you deploy your blueprint, you will see the 4 additional options with drop downs that you can select that will build your IPAM profile network for you
NOTE: The examples below are of Gateway, Network Name and Subnet, I have used a common name for each zone, you could set the actual values as the name but this is an easy way to match each one.
Template Engine: http://docs.sovlabs.com/latest/vRA/7.6/framework/sovlabs-template-engine/basics/intro/
IPAM profile: http://docs.sovlabs.com/latest/vRA/7.6/modules/ipam/infoblox-ipam/setup/#add-ipam-profile
IPAM integration Links: http://docs.sovlabs.com/latest/vRA/7.6/modules/#endpoint-integrations
Property Toolkit: http://docs.sovlabs.com/latest/vRA/7.6/modules/vra-toolkits/property-toolkit/