Remove Naming Convention Limitations
Server naming standards are a fact of life for most organizations. Hostnames are the most basic label that apply to all servers, and this identifier has operational value well beyond name resolution. Hostnames help multiple IT and application teams quickly identify and categorize any given server, revealing its function, role, operating system, environment, location or other attributes.
SovLabs Custom Naming module for vRealize Automation enables administrators to easily manage multiple naming standards through data-driven profiles, allowing IT to keep up with changing architectural and application standards or changes to the business such as department re-alignment, acquisitions or mergers. Easily create independent data-driven naming sequences and standards so that servers provisioned through vRealize Automation will adhere to specific naming conventions.
Blueprints Just Got Dynamic
Easily create software-defined server naming standards directly in vRealize Automation and tie them to existing blueprints.
Simplify Complex Naming
SovLabs Template Engine provides a simple yet powerful language to tackle even the most complex naming conventions without the need for custom workflows.
Sequencing that Fits Your Use Case
Manage naming sequences independent of naming standards for ultimate flexibility and control, reducing management overhead.
Features and Capabilities
- Create flexible naming standards that include one or more sequences
- Naming standards consisting of a combination of static text and dynamic content such as vRealize Automation custom properties and/or custom logic
- Validates against DNS and vRealize Automation database to determine hostname availability
- Includes advanced selective locking, preventing duplication of hostnames with parallel provisioning without sacrificing performance
- Allows for creation of multiple types of sequences such as decimal, hex, octal, binary, or custom pattern
- Dynamic sequences are possible using the pattern type, which can utilize vRealize Automation properties in combination with custom logic and one or many sequence types
- Includes option to allow for reuse of sequence values, e.g. for gaps left when machines have been de-provisioned
- Includes options for sequence length, padding character, initial value
- Sequences can be updated at any time, for scenarios like increasing sequence length or setting a new initial value
- e.g. set next sequence value at 500 instead of 030
- Supports creation of multiple naming sequences and standards as needed
- Included Template Tester to model and test template scenarios using SovLabs Template Engine
vRealize Automation Optimization and Upgrade Assessment
Receive an automated analysis of your vRA environment's optimization opportunities, potential for blueprint reduction, and readiness for vRA 8.Get Started