VMware vRealize Automation is a cloud management platform (CMP) used to build and manage multi-vendor cloud infrastructures. Organizations can self-provision virtual machines in public and private cloud environments, applications, physical machines, and IT services. Predefined policies execute all these tasks.
In summary, vRealize Automation is a self-serviced, policy-driven, cloud automation and orchestration engine with integration at its core.
Capabilities of vRealize Automation
Abstracted Service Models
vRealize Automation gives organizations the ability to create models of services. It abstracts services from each other within a single solution. For instance, an organization can abstract Platform as a Service (PaaS) from Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS). An organization can further abstract PaaS and IaaS from its resource pools.
Model Once, Deploy Anywhere
Abstracted service models allow organizations to treat models consistently, irrespective of where they deploy their services. IT administrators can model a service once and deploy it wherever they want. They can deploy it in production, development, or even in the cloud.
Governance is a crucial part of automation. Organizations want to create abstracted services models since they don’t want to provide every customer with the same service. Customers demand personalized services to meet their specific needs. VRealize Automation makes it possible for organizations to personalize services through policies.
Uses of vRealize Automation
- Creates a catalog of standard operating systems that organizations can consume at the click of a button.
- Enables organizations to offer other services beyond Infrastructure, e.g., XaaS (Anything as a Service) and PaaS (Platform as a Service).
- Prioritizes advanced governance
- Facilitates hybrid cloud deployments
- An organization uses vRealize Automation to integrate with ITSM (IT service management) and CMDB (configuration management database) tools to track activities about a machine after it has provisioned it.