VM tags are metadata stored with the VM which can provide valuable operational insight into business-relevant data such as the machine’s function, organization alignment, regional and service level characteristics as well as security and application related information.
VM tags can be accessed by help desk and operations teams through a GUI or programmatically by IT staff for planning and reporting purposes. Additional value can be leveraged using tags to drive policy decisions such as data protection and security products.
Powered by the SovLabs Module Framework, the VM Tagging Module provides a simple, comprehensive and flexible method for driving a rich set of metadata using VM tags and categories with vRealize Automation.
Accommodate multiple scenarios of VM tag names, categories and values from a single definition with the SovLabs Template Engine.
Automatically detects existing tags and categories, re-using existing objects.
Features and Capabilities
- Define one or more vRealize Automation custom properties that influence the creation of VM tags
- Each property value can contain one or more tag definitions
- Tag definition capabilities
- JSON-formatted or comma-separated list
- Ability to specify tag name, description, cardinality, category, category description
- Customize tag attributes using the SovLabs Template Engine
- Utilizes SovLabs vCenter endpoints, supporting vCenter 5.5.x, 6.0.x, 6.5.x, 6.7.x and VMware Cloud on AWS
- Delivers dozens to thousands of VM tagging scenarios with minimal overhead via dynamic template configurations and vRealize Automation property injection, avoiding Blueprint sprawl
vRealize Automation Optimization and Upgrade Assessment
Receive an automated analysis of your vRA environment's optimization opportunities, potential for blueprint reduction, and readiness for vRA 8.Get Started